to Port Arthur. This short and easy self-directed driving tour
is an introduction to a variety of interesting areas in the city.
of thumb guide: Port Arthur's streets, either numbered or named,
run east and west. Numbered or named avenues run north and south.
Many of the throughfares are named after flowers, trees, southern cities,
and famous people, including "Procter Street," named after one of the founders
of Procter & Gamble.
Port Arthur, 9th Avenue North from Hwy. 73 to Hwy. 365 (not included
in this directed tour). For general references, the area contains
"Babe Zaharias Municipal Golf Course; YMCA Fitness Center; shops, restaurants;
Central Mall, with over 80 stores; and a recreation center.
Get Started . . .
Civic Center, Hwy. 73 Frontage Road, one block west of 9th Avenue is a
good place to start your tour. Maps, brochures, information on historical
sites, fishing, water activities, restaurants and events, are provided
free by the Visitors Bureau, located by the Civic Center.
Arts Museum), across from the Civic Center, 3501 Cultrual Denter Drive.
The museum preserves the work of Texas artists and is a working museum.
Open Monday through Friday, 10 am to 5 pm and Saturday, 10 am to 2 pm;
classes available. Call during open hour, 409-983-4881.
Driving Tour begins at Hwy. 73 and 9th Avenue heading south.
Public Library Gallery, Hwy. 73 at 9th Avenue. A constant-changing
display of art, ethnic displays and historical themes, open to the public
SCHOOL, 2849 9th Avenue (14 blocks south of Hwy. 73). A one-of-a-kind
school. Notice the name "Bob Hope High School" and Drive. The
comedian visits Port Arthur every year, bringing other celebreties to benefit
performances for severly handicapped children from all over the world.
The indoor swimming pool was donated by Jimmy Durante.
OLD HOMES, GARDENS AND SPRING AZALEA TRAIL, 3800 to 4900 Griffing Drive.
Driving tour route from Hughen School: continue south on 9th Avenue,
turn left at 25th Street, which leads into Griffing Drive just past
the railroad tracks. Streets to the left, Las Palmas, Evergreen and
Woodrow wind through through the area and the gardens. Return to
Griffing Drive, turn west (right) and follow the curve onto 9th Avenue
just north of St. Mary's Hospital. Continue south on 9th Avenue past
Gulfway Drive (Hwy. 87).
OF PEACE STATUE, 801 9th Avenue, 7 blocks south of Gulfway Drive (Hwy.
87). This Hoa-Binh Area of Peace, featuring beautiful gardens
and edifice built by parishioners of Queen of Vietnamese Martyr's Catholic
Church, in gratitude for their escape from Asia, and to the city which
SHOPS, 700 block 9th Avenue. Curious ornaments, beautiful silk goods
and wall hangings, along with exotic oriental fruits and vegetables are
offered by friendly clerks, in this single block of shops.
south on 9th Avenue and Procter Street intersection, trun right (west)
on Procter Street.
SHELL WALL, Eddingston Court, 3300 Procter Street. Port Arthur's
first apartment units, built in 1929. Capt. Eddingston brought the
6,000 conch shells from the Cayman Islands for the wall's construction;
the only shell wall outside the Caribbean.
west on Procter Street. At Procter and Woodworth Blvd. intersection,
HISTORICAL MARKER, on the Woodworth Boulevard esplanade, marks the original
site of the City of Aurora, established in 1840. In 1885 the settlement
was swept by an epidemic that took a heavy toll on children and adults,
followed by a severe hurricane. Discouraged, the families around
the lake (Lake Sabine) moved further inland and Aurora became a ghost town.
In 1995, the city of Port Arthur was formed when railroad magnet Arthur
Stilwell chose the site in a dream, as the southern terminus of his Kansas
City, Pittsburgh and Gulf Railroad.
HILL MANOR, 101 Woodworth Boulevard. This palatial colonial residence,
built in 1906, was the home of Rome Woodworth, Port Arthur banker and mayor.
The family deeded the mansion to the city in 1948 and it is used by the
public for social gatherings and events. The beautiful porch and
grounds are inviting for a relaxing pause.
WATERWAY, at the foot of Woodworth Boulevard and Lakeshore Drive.
This ship channel is a segment of the 1300-mile Gulf Coast Intracoastal
DRIVE HISTORICAL AREA. Turn right and continue west on Lakeshore
Drive. The curving drive, once bordering the shores of Lake Sabine,
now runs parallel to the Intracoastal Waterway that carries hugh ocean-going
vessels. It appears the ships are gliding down an adjacent street.
HAVEN, 2545 Lakeshore Drive, is open to the public. Wide porches
and spacious rooms bring back memeories of relaxed times by the lake.
Build in 1915, the two-story Georgian Revival-style home displays the collections
and furniture of Stella White, who bequeathed the home to the DAR.
Open to the public Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.,
tour is $2 per person. Group tours and special arrangements, call
Drive and DeQueen Boulevard intersection, a tiny, lone tombstone on the
boulevard's grassy esplanade marks the grave of the first baby born in
Port Arthur in 1896. Named after the city's founder, Baby Arthur
Stillwell Smith died the same year.
VILLA, 1953 Lakeshore The pink villa, styled after Italy's Pompeii
homes, was built in 1900 as the winter home of Issac Ellwood, the "barbed
wire king." The second owner was James Hopkins, president of the
Diamond Match Company, who traded the property to Banker George Craig for
10 percent of his stock in the Texas Company, now Texaco. The stock,
worth $10,000 at the time, would now be valued at $3 billion dollars.
Later Craig explained the trade by saying, "Oil companies were a dime a
dozen then. How did I know Texaco would survive?" The Port
Arthur Historical Society operates the villa, open to the public from 9
a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Fee, $2 per person. Special arrangements
may be made by calling 409-983-5977.
TEMPLE, 1901 Lakeshore Drive, is located next door to the Pompeiian Villa.
The temple was build in 1928 in the Spanish Gothic design. Parts
of the ornamentation show the influence of acient Egyptian decoration.
WOMEN'S CLUBHOUSE, 1924 Lakeshore Drive, is across the street from the
Masonic Temple. This structure build in 1915 is the first women's
clubhouse in Port Arthur and is still in use by the Federated Women's Clubs.
Continue west on Lakeshore Drive.
to the intersection of Lakeshore Drive and Stilwell Boulevard (next stop
HOUSE, 1831 Lakeshore Drive, is a Dutch colonial home build by the first
Dutch Counsel in 1905. The home, now owned by Lamar University, carries
out the style and decor of early Dutch immigrants to the area. Toured
by special arrangements with Lamar University, 409-983-4921, the Vuylsteke
House along with Pompeiian Villa, White Haven and private homes on Lakeshore
Drive, offers special Christmas tours and hospitality.
leaving Gates Memorial Library, continue west on Lakeshore Drive to 1600
block, turn left, drive toward waterway.
MEMORIAL LIBRARY, at Lakeshore Drive and Stilwell Boulevard, constructed
in 1915 as a library in memory of John "Bet-a-Million" Gates. The
building was designed by the architect of Grand Central Station in New
From the Temple, continue west to 1500 Procter
Street, at Stilwell Boulevard turn left, Lamar University Port Arthur Campus
on left, Gates Library on right. At intersection of Stilwell and
Lakeshoer turn right (west).
WALL AREA: Drive back east to Woodworth Boulevard. Open 8 a.m.
to 5 p.m. weekdays to vehicle traffic, the drive tops Port Arthur's $89
million hurricane protection system, a virtual dike arround the city.
The spectacucular sight of an ocean-going vessel only a stone's throw away
is a visitor's favorite. Across the Sabine-Neches Waterway is the
city-owned Pleasure Island, which is bounded on the south by Lake Sabine.
Exit on Woodworth Boulevard, go north two blocks to Procter Street.
Turn left (west) at Procter Street.
BUDDHIST TEMPLE, 2701 Procter Street. The four-tier pagoda tower
symbolizes tenants in the Buddha faith. Although only 5 percent of
the Orientals in Port Arthur are Buddhist (the other 95 percent are Catholic),
the cultural impact in the community has been great. The drama of
Dragon dancers moving in a dramatic struggle agains evil, and the ritual
rice harvest promenade struggle against evil, and the ritual rice harvest
promenade follow drum and gong signals of awakening by temple priests.
The public is invited to attend Sunday services.
on Lakeshore to Beaumont Street.
MEMORIAL SUNDAIL, 1045 Lakeshore Drive. The dial was built in tribute
to the men of the Texaco Oklahoma, lost at sea in 1971, and to all others
who go down to the sea in ships from the Port of Port Arthur.
Drive becomes 4th Street at Waco Avenue (corner between 500 and 600 block).
Lakeshore Drive turns to the left. For your tour, continue straight
on 4th Street, west.
OF THE GULF COAST, Corner of Lakeshore Drive and Beaumont Street.
What do singer Janis Joplin, a 13-foot-5-inch alligator, Spindletop, former
Dallas Cowboys football coach Jimmy Johnson, artist Robert Rauschenberg,
and an ancient Clovis spear have in common?
hail from southeast Texas, and all receive recognition in Port Arthur's
Museum of the Gulf Coast.
in a three story, 39,000-square foot former bank, the museum's entrance
hall features a 23-foot-by-125 foot mural by famed Kerrville artist Travis
Keese. The work depicts five scenes from area history: imagined
landscapes of the Paleozoic epoch; early Native Americans hunting a mammouth;
Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca's shipwreck; the Civil War Battle of Sabine
Pass; and the Spindletop Gusher.
hall of fame features more than 40 Gulf Coast musicians including Janis
Joplin, Tex Ritter, Johnny and Edgar Winters, and the Big Bopper, to name
a few. The sports exhibit showcases Babe Zaharias, Little Joe Washington,
and more than 90 other local notables, while the natural history collection
includes rare fossils and an extensive avial collection.
sections include the Robert Raushenberg Art Gallery, the Snell Decorative
Arts collection, a maritime and petorleum chemical hall, and a social and
cultural history area.
museum lies on the ship channel in downtown Port Arthur. Hours are
Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Admission costs $3.50, $3 age 65 and older, $1.50 ages 6-15, 50 cents age
5 and younger.
to Houston Avenue, turn left, travel 9 blocks to the intersection of Thomas
Boulevard and Houston Avenue. Turn left (west) on Thomas Boulevard,
travel 14 blocks to Hwy. 82.
OF PORT ARTHUR, 100 Lakeshore Drive. The Port's gate guard will
arrange for a guide into the dock area, featuring "Big Arthur," a 75-ton
the intersection of Thomas Boulevard and Hwy. 82, turn left (south) on
Hwy. 82 to cross the M. L. King Gulfgate Bridge to Pleasure Island.
the beautiful curved span stretches 5,034 feet from bank to bank, 138 feet
above mean low tide. From the top of the bridge, viewers can spot
sailboats on Lake Sabine, Pleasure Island stretching left and right, and
Louisiana, visible across the lake. The bridge curves down to an
intersection of the T. B. Ellison Parkway to the right, Hwy. 82 to the
AND CHEVRON TANK FARMS, PETROCHEMICAL COMPLEXES. From Thomas
Boulevard and Hwy. 82, visitors travel adjacent to some of the world's
largest refineries. Oil giants like Exxon, Gulf and Texaco were born
here when the famous Spindletop gusher blew in 15 miles north of the city
At Ellison/Hwy. 82 intersection,
turn right and travel approximately 4 1/2 miles to developed resort area
on Pleasure Pier Boulevard. Along Ellison Parkway, publich pinic
areas, 10-acre fenced concert park, free fishing piers and stone revetment
walls can be found on the south (Lake Sabine) side of the island.
Left of the road, viewers can look across Sabine Neches Waterway to the
Port of Port Arthur and the city's government complex.
ISLAND, stretching 17 miles along the shores of Lake Sabine, once a secret
anchorage of Pirate Jean Lafitte.
Turn right at Pleasure Pier Boulevard,
heading south toward the lake. Vehicle parking area is near the condos,
restaurant, beach club and public board walk adjacent to the marina and
lake. For additional stores, fishing and sailboard areas, continue
northeast on Ellison Parkway to the end of the road.
A marina, condos, Yach Club, restaurants,
bar and beach club are adjacent to Pleasure Pier Boulevard, and Ellison
Retrace Ellison Parkway Drive
to M. L. King Bridge/Drive and Hwy. 82 intersection.
CHOICE OF: Continuing south on Hwy. 82,
which is part of the Canada-to-Mexico "Hug the Coast" highway system.
Pass shipyard and dry dock to Causeway Bridge and entrance to State of
Louisiana. Return on Hwy 82 to exit Pleasure Island at M. L. King
Bridge intersection After crossing bridge to mainland Port Arthur,
continue straight north on Hwy. 82 to Hwy. 73. Turn right on Hwy.
73, head east approximately 10 miles to your starting place at the Port
Arthur Civic Center.
ENJOY OTHER DRIVING TOURS: Directions to
Dick Dowling State Park,
Hwy. 87 south at Sabine Pass; Sea Rim State Park, Hwy. 87 south; the Dutch
Windmill and La Maison Acadienne, Hwy 69 north, plus restaurants, hotel,
activities and charter fishing/hunting guides available at the Visitors
Bureau, (409) 985-7822, located in the Port Arthur Civic Center, 3401 Cultural
Center Dr., Port Arthur, Texas 77642.
We're happy to "SEE YA" IN PORT ARTHUR,
Welcome to Port Arthur Easy Driving
Convention & Visitors Bureau.
3401 Cultural Center Drive
Port Arthur, Texas 77642